Saturday, November 5, 2011

Lilah's Birth

Juliet got to our house around 7:30 a.m. We had left the front door open and so she just quietly came up the stairs. After watching us have a contraction she asked if she could listen to the baby. I moved around so she could listen and everything sounded great. She talked to us awhile and then went to go find something for breakfast and to call the other midwives.

Kevin and I continued working together and actually having a really sweet time. He remembered my special lotion that I had loved so much when I was in labor with Isaac. As he rubbed it on my leg I remember him joking, "Ah, now it smells like a labor!"

We decided to not send the kids to Sunday School and to continue letting them sleep as long as possible. We called our friend and doula, Eve, to come over and help us. Linda and Mary Ann arrived, more midwives to help. For awhile Juliet, Linda, Kevin and I sat around in our room and joked while I labored. Every now and then a contraction would be particularly strong and I'd snap, "Be quiet." They were all very respectful.

The contractions had seemed to slow a bit when everyone got there, but I was enjoying the break. They offered to leave our room and I asked them to stay. This part of labor was actually a lot of fun, much like a quiet party with a few friends.

The kids began to wake up and they all came in our room, one by one. I was excited to tell them that I thought our baby would be born later in the evening. Linda had gone to a local bakery and brought back some bagels. The midwives went downstairs and left Kevin and I alone, while they actually fed the kids. Although I could smell the everything bagel from downstairs, and had to laugh about it. I also gave them heck later.

When Kevin and I were alone, the contractions picked up again. He really responded by rubbing me, telling me I was doing a good job and reminding me to change positions and move around. It was at this point I started experiencing a pain that wasn't a contraction, but rather from a previous surgery. I spent much of a contraction dealing with this pain. I tried holding the incision, I tried heat, I tried cold. Nothing really seemed to have an effect on the pain. So, I started crying.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment